Saturday, February 18, 2012

1% Weight Loss - End of Week 7

Hmmmmm.


Here's the result





I have to tell you, I thought I'd done better than that this week. Blew out a bit on Valentine's Day but after that stayed on the straight and narrow.


But I look thinner. I feel better. I've got more energy.


However, that doesn't deflect attention away from the fact that the gap between intention and reality is getting larger. I'll just have to be more focused and work harder this week.


I'm certain that getting rid of wheat flour from my diet is a good thing.


And I'm now more convinced than ever that the way to eat is from the top of the Hourglass. If you had meat/fish/chicken and two or three veg (none of which contain over 100Kg/100gms) for every meal you'd continue to lose weight.


Meanwhile the dietecians, (including fat guru Garry Egger) and the supermarketeers are encouraging you to eat cereal for breakfast. The problem with cereal in this country is that most of what we think of as cereal is in fact flour baked up into small, funny shaped biscuits masquarading as cereals.


The NH&MRC recommendation for cereal intake for men is 12 - 24 slices of bread a day for chrissake! You're not going to get thin eating a loaf of bread a day, particularly if you lather it with butter and peanut butter.


What's pleasing is that this week is my 5Km running time started coming down - from 33 minutes to 31.27. Now a 5Km time of 31.27 is nothing to blog about. A good time would be twice Ron Clarke's worlds record of 13.16. My run is on the Stromlo Park track and it's not flat, but 31.27 is miles away from 26.32.


But I'm heartened. I'm getting fitter and can run every day. Until I bought my 'Shape' shoes I kept tearing calf muscles and Achilles tendons. They're very heavy, but that's a small price to pay for being able to run every day. If you've got sore Achilles, calves and knees I'd recommend you get a pair and see how you go. Mine cost $100 from Sketchers at DFO.


One thing I do enjoy doing is exercising with my little running mate, Honey, wonder dog from Canberra. She's loves running. You can join Honey on her Facebook site:


http://www.facebook.com/people/Honey-Miller/


While I'm running she's just walking briskly and cantering - or chasing kangaroos. Maybe George Orwell was right - four legs is better than 2!


In the meantime stay tuned.


John Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment